The Bag Factory is inviting applications for a Funded Studio residency
FUNDED STUDIO SPACE
The Bag Factory is offering a funded studio space for 1 artist as of 01 August 2016. The programme will run for 10 months and is aimed at a mid career artist (an artist that has been practising for more than five years and has had at least one solo show).
Who is eligible?
The artist must be:
▪ a mid-career artist based in Johannesburg or able to base themselves in Johannesburg (there is NO ACCOMMODATION provided).
▪ a full-time practicing visual artist who is capable of regularly using a studio in their visual arts practice.
▪ An artist with a willingness to be involved in the Bag Factory’s projects and events
▪ Attend any and all artists meetings
▪ An artist who can offer support and the informal mentorship that follows the Bag Factory’s philosophy.
Although the studio space will be free for the artist, for the period of 1 year, there will be a deposit of R2500 will be payable over a period of 3 months. This will be returned to you once the project comes to an end on 31 May 2017.
What do I receive during this programme
– A rent free studio that is approximately 15m², with 2 wooden walls suitable for hanging
– An electricity point is provided for standard use. (kiln’s, air conditioners, and other high voltage devices need to be discussed with the office.)
– Wireless internet access
– Basic security
– Become part of the Bag Factory community
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS is Friday 8 July 2016
How are the applications assessed?
Applications are assessed by a selection committee made up of artists, curators, academics and buyers.
Applicants must submit:
* a completed application form which can be downloaded here
* a substantial curriculum vitae
TO APPLY, SEND APPLICATIONS TOAPPLICATIONS@BAGFACTORYART.ORG.ZA